Saturday 20 October 2012

I Yam what I yam...........

  written by Linda Gauthier

Nope, I'm not talking spinach, that's for another time, but I yam talkin' about yams. Tee he. 




On Sunday morning, my favorite day of the week, we had a nice lazy start to the day, and made a nice brunch.  It was raining outside, so we decided to have a quiet day in, to have a brunch and to play the rest of the day by ear.  My sweet husband surprised me with a dozen long stem red roses, which arrived just before we sat down for brunch.  The door bell rang, I answered and to my surprise there was a lady at the door with a gift for me, total surprise, no special reason.  Okay what has he done, what's this about, my usual suspicious reaction kicks in.  Nothing he says, nothing other than I love you, uh uh I say, still waiting for the other shoe to drop, thinking he bought something or some other silly thing. Nope nothing he says, other than he had the opportunity to purchase them through a fund raising event for the Rotary, smart man I married! He gets brownie points from me and a tax receipt to boot, no moss grows on that shiny dome that's for sure!! For whatever reason he made the purchase the sentiment was not lost, thanks again Sweetie.   Oops, side tracked again.  Yams not roses that is what I was going to talk about so lets get on with it.

I created a new dish or at least new to me, I've never seen a recipe for it but it sure tasted good and was as easy as pie.  I will definitely be making it again.





The following information is found at www.Livestrong.com one of the sites I use for my nutrition information.



Reduced Cholesterol


Yams are rich in vitamin B6, which helps reduce levels of cholesterol in the blood. A 2005 study in the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition" found that replacing the staple starch -- rice or bread -- with 390 g of yam for two of three meals a day for 30 days resulted in a 5.9 percent decrease in blood cholesterol. High levels of cholesterol are linked to increased risk of cardiovascular disease.

Reduced Blood Pressure


Yams are also a good source of potassium, which can help reduce hypertension. Its main tuber storage protein, dioscorin, also reduces blood pressure. 

Antioxidant Properties


Yams have high levels of antioxidants, which neutralize free radicals and prevent oxidative damage to your cells. Scientists in the Philippines analyzed nine common variants of yams and found two major sources of antioxidants in them. Antioxidants contribute to protection against cancer, cardiovascular disease and stroke.

Estrogen


Yams have traditionally been used in Chinese herbal medicines to affect female hormones. The same 2005 study that reported a reduction in cholestoral also found that in postmenopausal women, consuming 390 g of yam twice a day for 30 days resulted in a significant increase in estradiol levels. This could ease menopausal symptoms as well as help reduce the risk of breast cancer in older women.

Weight Control


Yams contain fiber, which helps fill you up and make you stay feeling full longer. It also slows the release of carbohydrates into the blood stream, preventing a spike in blood sugar and insulin levels. This also helps prevent feeling tired and hungry.

Well in the vernacular of our hero ,"Enough is enough , I can't stands it  no more, lets end this edumacation stuff."
 As Popeye says, "I yam what I yam and that's all that I Yam" he speaks the truth, even though he may not be talking about the tuber, there is wisdom in his words.  What? you say, well,we are what we are, and we are what we eat, so maybe we should listen and learn from Popeye the sailor man, what do you think?



"I can't stans it, I can't stans it no more, I'm out the door." 
Have a great day and remember to enjoy the little things in life, as you can see I do, if you don't believe me you try writing a blog around a play on words involving a tuber :) Be talking to you soon, bye for now. Take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment