Wednesday 10 October 2012

Mouthful of Yummy Pumpkin Spice Cakes


For the finale of the day we had these yummy Pumpkin Spice Cakes, I say we but it was more like he. I left the plate unattended, came back to find that my hubby decided he'd save me from the guilt of eating these yummy things and he had devoured all but one.  "My Hero", she says with a sad smile. He grins as he wipes the crumbs of his chin, looking like a naughty little boy, but I am glad he enjoyed them, besides it is his tummy that will see the results not my thighs she thinks with a big smile.

Almost guilt-free treat, with all the flavour I crave at this time of year. 

Here is one of my solutions for Thanksgiving;

To avoid having to make a pumpkin pie, which I love, but would be too much for just my husband and I, I made small spice pumpkin cupcakes and iced them with the Epicure Chai Tea Icing.

For my miniature cupcakes, I used a Duncan Hines spice cake mix, to which I substituted 1/3 of a cup of pumpkin pie filling for the oil being called for in the mix.  The mix originally called for 3 large eggs, 1 1/3 c water and 1/3 c oil.  

The cake was moist and flavourful,  I was able to make 3 small loaf pans plus 24 miniature cupcakes. 


Epicure's Chai Tea Frosting



Epicure Chai Tea Icing:
A perfect topping for cupcakes, carrot cake and Epicure's Chai Tea Loaf.

Makes 2 cups (500 ml)

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

1/4 cup (60 ml) water
1 Tbsp (15 ml) Epicure's Chai Tea
1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
1 x 8 oz (250 g) pkg light cream cheese
2 cups (500 ml) icing sugar, divided

Instructions

1. Bring water and Chai Tea to a boil in Epicure's Multi-Purpose Pot. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Strain, reserving liquid, and let liquid cool. 
2. Beat butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer on medium speed until combined. Add steeped tea and half the icing sugar. Continue beating until smooth. 
3. Slowly add remaining icing sugar in stages until desired consistency and sweetness is reached.

Per Serving (2 Tbsp (30 ml)): Calories 120, Fat 5 g (Saturated 3.5 g, Trans 0.1 g), Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 85 mg, Carbohydrate 16 g (Fibre 0 g, Sugars 16 g), Protein 1 g.

The loaves and extra cupcakes were wrapped and frozen for future use,  this was done immediately because I know if I leave them in my kitchen iced and looking so yummy I will succumb to their temptress ways.  Frozen and out of sight requires more work.  I only iced what we need, and put the left over icing in an airtight container in the fridge, to use later. 





No comments:

Post a Comment