Saturday 17 November 2012

How I came to the Ranch





How I came to be a Rancher
written by Loretta LeBlanc




Hey everyone:
For those of you who don’t know me, I am Linda’s cousin, same age and almost as cute. I grew up on the island also but am now living on the westside of Okanagan Lake on 18 acres in a very rural area, with our closest neighbour 3 km away. It is 45 min to Kelowna or 35 min to Vernon. My husband (of 41 years! Yes Really!) and I bought this property 7 years ago as a summer/retirement retreat. We left it for a year then took some time off to come up from the coast to do some work to it to make it more livable. Well, we never went back. Sold our 4500 sq ft home & moved into 800 sq ft rustic cabin, heated with a wood stove and water from a stream. My husband said he wanted a more simple life. I see life as an adventure, but I Am a city girl so this would really test my survival skills. Not to back down from a challenge, I packed up my dangly earrings, high heeled sandals and white skinny jeans. I can do this! I am strong! I am woman! I proclaimed. Until a big brown bear jumped out in front of me and strolled down my driveway and I ran screaming like a sissy into the house breaking a heel on my favorite shoes. Don’t judge. I am short and always wore heels to feel/look taller. Now my favorite store is the VV Boutique (Value Village, for those of you who couldn't figure that out), I actually own flat shoes, lots of poop/mud boots and not one pair of white pants. I still like dangly earrings and that is about as fancy as I get these days. You just never know where life will take you but you might as well enjoy the ride. I hope you will enjoy some of my stories of our new life on the ranch.


No comments:

Post a Comment